Oct 8, 2009
Chili Pie with Cornmeal Crust
1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
Cayenne pepper to taste
2 1/2 cups canned pink or red kidney beans, rinsed and well drained
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and thinly sliced
1/4 cup ice water
1. For the filling: Brown the meat with the garlic and bell pepper in the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, breaking up the meat with your spoon as you stir.
2. Add the tomatoes and seasonings and cook for 5 minutes or until the mixture has thickened slightly.
3. Reduce the heat to low, add the drained beans, and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring frequently. Spoon the mixture into a 1 1/2-quart casserole or baking dish and let it cool while you prepare the crust.
4. For the pastry: Heat the oven to 400. Sift together the flour, cornmeal, and salt into a medium bowl.
5. Cut in the butter until the mixture looks like, well, coarse meal. Add the water and toss the dough lightly with a fork until it begins to come together.
6. Lightly gather it together some more, then press it into a disk. On a floured surface, roll it out until it's about 1/4 inch thick and slightly larger than your casserole.
7. Place the rolled-out dough on top of the casserole, as you would for a pie. Trim the edges, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang, turn them under, and flute.
8. Cut large slits into the crust to let the steam escape. If you're up to it, you can decorate the crust with any dough scraps.
9. Bake for 30 minutes or until the crust is well browned. Serves 4