unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon
grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup
fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups
paper thin lemon slices
- Sweet Pastry Dough:
See instructions below:
- FOR THE SWEET PASTRY DOUGH: Preheat an oven to 400 degrees. Butter a 10-inch-diameter tart pan with a removable bottom. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough into a 12 inch-diameter round and 1/8-inch thick. Drape the dough over the rolling pin and transfer it to the prepared tart pan. Unwrap the dough from the pin and press it gently into the pan. Trim the pastry even with the pan rim.
- Line the pastry-lined pan with parchment paper and add pie weights or dried beans. Bake until the pastry is half-cooked, about 15 minutes. Remove the pie weights and waxed paper.
- FOR THE LEMON FILLING: Meanwhile, whisk the lemon juice, eggs, lemon zest and 1 1/4 cups of the sugar in a large bowl to blend. Stir in the melted butter. Pour the lemon mixture into the warm tart crust. Return it to the oven and bake until the filling is set and the crust is golden brown, about 20 minutes. Transfer the tart to a rack. Cool completely.
- FOR THE LEMON GARNISH: In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the sugar and water. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly to dissolve the sugar. Add the reserved lemon slices, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside. Remove the lemon slices from the sugar-water mixture, shaking briefly to remove any excess liquid, and place on a plate.
- TO SERVE THE TART: Remove pan sides from tart. Transfer the tart to a serving plate. Arrange lemon slices in an overlapping pattern atop the center of the tart and serve at room temperature.