1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/3 cups flour
1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 package semisweet chocolate chips (6 ounces)
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 325°. Lightly butter a 9-in pie plate.
2. Beat 1/2 cup of the melted butter and the sugar together in a large
bowl. Add the eggs and vanilla, and mix thoroughly.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together. Add to the
creamed mixture and mix together.
4. Stir in the chocolate chips and nuts. (The dough will resemble
chocolate chip cookie dough.)
5. Place the dough in the prepared pie plate. Flatten and smooth it
out with a broad wooden spoon or your hand. Bake at 325° for 30 to 40
minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Brush the pie with the remaining 1 tablespoon melted butter as soon as
it comes from the oven. Cool and serve with ice cream and hot fudge
HOT FUDGE SAUCE
1/3 cup water
1 tablespoon butter
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. In a heavy saucepan, over medium heat, bring the water and butter
to a simmer and heat until the butter is melted. Remove the pan from
the heat and stir in the chocolate. Continue stirring until it has
2. Add the sugar, corn syrup, and salt, and mix well. Return the pan
to the heat and bring the mixture to a boil without stirring. Cover
and cook for 3 minutes, then uncover and simmer for 2 minutes longer.
Remove from the heat and cool for 5 minutes. Stir in the vanilla and