- 3 large Russet potatoes (about 12 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons Cabot Salted Butter, cut into pieces
- 6 ounces Cabot Extra Sharp or Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Scrub potatoes and prick with fork in several places. Place on baking sheet and bake until tender, 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
- When cool enough to handle, remove skins and place potatoes in large bowl; add butter and mash with potato masher. Mix in cheese and chives and season mixture with salt and pepper.
- Shape mixture into six (1/2-inch-thick) cakes. Place on plate, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Brush large skillet generously with oil and place over medium-low heat or preheat electric griddle to 325 degrees F. Cook cakes for several minutes until golden on underside; slide metal spatula carefully under each cake to release, then turn over and cook until browned on second side.
- Turn off heat and let cakes stand for a couple of minutes to firm up slightly. Serve with sausage and eggs.